Thursday, March 3, 2011

"AA" Girls Basketball District Championships & 3rd Place games on 3/3/11

The wait from Monday night is almost here! Time to crown 4 districts champs and qualify 4 teams to the state tournament at Frost Arena in Brookings. In District one you have the O'Gorman Knights, lead by Alisa Brown and Chandler Nielsen taking on the Roosevelt Rough Riders. Each team won on the others home court during the season. Can the Riders do it again or can the Knights win and get to state? Anybody that knows me knows who I want to win this game tonight! Some even say that I bleed blue since I did work and coached at one of the schools.  I have seen both teams play and I am (surprise, surprise) going to take OG. In the third place game I will take the Watertown Arrows to end the season of the Brookings Bobcats.

In district 2 its the defending champs, Washington Warriors taking on the Yankton Gazelles at the Warrior gym. Even though Yankton beat Washington for one of its two loses, (The Riders beat them at Roosevelt in the fire alarm game for its other loss) I don't see Washington losing this game tonight. They are playing well and Mercede Stotesbery looks great from her foot injury she suffered earlier in the season. In the 3rd place game, which can be heard on ESPN 99.1 at about 7:20pm, its the Lincoln Patriots and the Brandon Valley Lynxs. BV is lead by Heidi Hoff and Jessi Peterson. (no relation to our very own Brad Peterson who does play by play for ESPN 99.1) The Pates are lead by Daurby Hugunin and Cera Ledbetter. I see the Pates winning on the Lynxs home floor because before they played Washington on Monday night they were 10-4 in their last 14 games.

In district 3 its the Mitchell Kernels and Aberdeen Central Golden Eagles from the Corn Palace. In my surprise pick I will pick a mild upset and go with the Golden Eagles beating the Kernels tonight. In the 3rd place game I was already told the Huron Tigers would win and play Saturday by a follower of my blog so I will go with that as well and say that the Pierre Lady Govs are a young team that will be good in the not so distance future, plus they are coached by Lisa Kanegiater-Bahe, who coached the Brookings Bobcats to a state championship a while ago.

In district 4 its the RC Stevens Raiders(home of Becky Hammon) hosting the RC Central Cobblers for the right to go to state. I will pick the Raiders and no not because of Becky Hammon but because of Margaret McCloud who is a junior and to much for Central to handle inside. In the 3rd place game I will go with Sturgis to beat Spearfish for the right to play Saturday in a region game.

Good Luck to all the teams, coaches and players tonight. Listen to ESPN 99.1 for complete coverage of Lincoln and Brandon Valley from the Lynxs gym starting at 7:20pm with Brad Peterson. Who's going to be playing in the state tournament on March 10th-12? We will have four teams after tonight! Send me your feedback and comments on who you think will get there.

Thanks for reading my blog and keep listening to ESPN 99.1

No comments:

Post a Comment