Sunday, March 13, 2011

Girls "AA" State Tournament Recap

What a great day on championship Saturday! First I want to thank everyone for reading my blog. Hope some of you got a chance to hear me on ESPN 99.1 at the state tournament! I had a blast doing that and to top it all off we have a first time ever champ! Congrats to Mark Stadem and the Brandon Valley Lynxs as they beat the OGorman Knights in the championship game! It was a fun game that went back and forth the whole way!

For those of you that know me I worked at both schools and on the radio couldn't show who I was rooting for in the game. I was hoping for a great game and I got it! I was hoping one school could get their first school title but I was also hoping one coach could get his first title as a coach.

In the game itself it was a battle of wills! No team ever had a big lead as it was close the whole way. The great play of Heidi Hoff and Allison Koehn for Brandon was keep close by Alisa Brown and Chandler Nielsen of O'Gorman. The game was decided in the last moments by a block on a three that Hoff got on Brown to secure the victory and the schools first ever title for Brandon.

In the 3rd place game it was Aberdeen Central and RC Central. It was Aberdeen Central winning by 1 as Kelcy Shaunaman hit 2 freethrows in the closing seconds of the game.

In the 5th place game it was the Washington Warriors behind Spirit of Sue winner (and well deserved) Rachel Walters 15 point effort to end her senior season on a great note by beating RC Stevens 58-46. Now she can get ready for next year playing for the Jacks! Hope she enjoys them being in the NCAA Women's Tournament. Good Luck next year Rachel, your a great basketball player but an even better person!

In the 7th place game it was the Mitchell Kernels beating the Yankton Gazelles 69-36.

I cant believe the girls season is over and only one more week left for the boys! It was a great weekend and I cant wait to do it again really soon! Congrats to all the teams, players, coaches for a great season. There is great young talent coming up across the state of South Dakota and I look forward to watching you next year!

Thanks for reading my blog! If you heard me this past weekend on ESPN 99.1 or KSOO give me a comment about it here on my blog. Looking forward to the boys state tournament coming up this Thursday. Listen to ESPN 99.1 for complete coverage starting at 1pm with the #1 seed O'Gorman Knights taking on the #8 seed Brandon Valley Lynxs.

No comments:

Post a Comment